Getting an API Access Token for your Shopify Store
To connect a custom app to your Shopify Store, you need to manage API access tokens from your Shopify Store. You'll require a Shopify Store URL and an API access token for using the Shopify integration. You can learn how to generate and locate this token in your Shopify Store in this article.
Enabling custom app development in Shopify
Enabling a custom app can be done from your Shopify owner's account:
Start by logging in as the store owner.
- Go to the 'Apps' options in the admin interface sidebar.
- Select 'Apps and sales channels settings' in the dropdown menu.
- Go to 'Develop apps'.
- Click on 'Allow Custom App Development'.
- Click on 'Allow Custom App Development' once more.
Generating an API Access Token from the Shopify admin
After allowing custom app development, you need to create an app and generate an API access token:
- Click on 'Create an app'.
- Provide a name for your app and select an email for the "App developer" field.
- Navigate to the 'Configuration' tab, in the "Admin API Integration" section select 'Configure'.
- Under "Admin API access scopes" find and select the permission you want to allow for your access token then click the 'Save' button.
In the following example we picked 'write_customers' and 'read_customers', you may need to select more scopes depending on your API needs. For detailed access scope information: Shopify API access scopes
Your app is configured, now to generate your access token:
Go to the 'API Credentials' tab.
Click on 'Install app' in the "Access tokens" section.
- In the popup click on 'Install' to confirm the installation.
- You will then be able to see your Admin API Access Token by clicking on 'Reveal token once'. Save it somewhere because you won't be able to reveal it again at a later time.
Well done, you now have an API Access Token for your shopify store which you can use to create a Shopify connector on Knots.